Duration Activity type
Discover the Hinterlands of Amsterdam Noord
You might already know of Amsterdam Noord, a short boat, bike, walk or drive from our hotel in Durgerdam - its buzzy, regenerated heart is a thriving food, wine and beer scene. But take a step into Amsterdam Noord’s hinterland and discover a peaceful part of the Netherlands with natural wetlands, classic Dutch villages, food markets and seasonal restaurants.
Our Picks: Things to Do
- Visit Monnickendam, a picture-postcard Dutch coastal village on the banks of Makermeer, admiring its landmark, the 15th-century Speeltoren clock tower atop the town hall. Get out on the water with a tranquil cruise, historic yacht trip or self-drive boat. If you time your visit with ‘fish day’, you can see all Monnickendam’s artisan trades at work including fish net mending, fishermen’s choirs, clog makers and fresh fish smoking – a true back-in-time glimpse of historic Monnickendam.
- The scenic villages of Edam and Volendam will wow you with their colourful houses and easy charm. Discover Edam, put on the map for the red-rinded cheese; its traditional summer market bring the famous cheese’s legacy to life. Explore the historic Dam of Edam and the Steenen Coopmanshuys brick merchant’s house built in the 15th century which houses the Edam Museum. Edam’s pretty neighbour is fishing village Volendam, where heritage yachts bob in the old harbour and you can sample fresh seafood including smoked eel.
- Take yourself off on a scenic bike ride, discovering off-the-beaten track villages, waterside views and idyllic rural life. From Durgerdam, ride the picturesque uitdammerdijk, bordered by both the verdant lowlands and the Ijsselmeer, and enjoy uninterrupted views and the odd yacht glide by. After 30 minutes you will reach Uitdam and an hour brings you to Marken, a fishing village characterised by wooden stilted houses and a red-tipped working lighthouse, built in 1839.
- Enjoy the pleasure of buying and tasting expertly smoked food at Rookt Amsterdam, located in the gardens of NoordOogst in Amsterdam Noord. A time-honoured Dutch tradition, Niel Muller introduces you to his modern artisan smoking house which finely smokes sausages, bacon, mackerel and chicken alongside his homemade chutney and ketchup. Even the wood for the smoking is sourced locally from Amsterdam’s felled trees. Surprisingly there’s also some great options for veggies and vegans too.
Our Picks: Restaurant & Bars
- Translating as ‘lighthouse island’, Vuurtoreneiland is a restaurant on a tiny islet on the Ijsselmeer lake, just 2.5 kilometres from De Durgerdam. Depending on the season, you will be served in either a cosy bunker or open-to-the-elements greenhouse, dining on curated set menus that are sourced from the surrounding land and lake.
- Combining beats, zingy Asian food and all-day rosé, you will fall in love with diminutive Cornerstone in Amsterdam Noord, a unique dining and drinking hotspot that blurs the lines between bar and restaurant. Set to a background of DJ tunes, enjoy Asian-inspired dishes where vegetables are the star of the show.
- With a fresh, open feel, Stork is blessed with lake and sky views, located on the banks of the Ij. The perfect spot for fish aficionados, industrial-chic Stork is the place to kick back with a lavish fruits de mer platter, whole fish grilled to perfection or simply some oysters and crisp white wine while you watch the boats of the river chug by.
- The rural hinterland of Amsterdam Noord is not necessarily where you’d expect to find an authentic Italian restaurant. Introducing Restaurant Mario helmed by a third-generation family from Valle d'Aosta in northwest Italy. Serving a seven-course tasting menu, its highlights are the Italian-sourced antipasti, risotto and homemade saltimbocca.
- Dutch coastal village Monnickendam is the home of Restaurant Posthoorn, Amsterdam Noord’s shining Michelin-starred restaurant. With a classic Dutch décor within two beautifully restored 17th century houses in historic Monnickendam, the menu balances its traditional ambience with finesse: expect flashes of Asian-inspired cuisine juxtaposing with fine Dutch gastronomy.